Thursday, June 4, 2009

Pop Quiz...

What is my husband doing in this picture?...

A: Looking for his keys that he accidentally threw in our trash bag and then took it out to the dumpster.
B: He just woke up after sleeping in the dumpster after making me mad. That'll teach him to almost burn down our house.
C: He has a strange infatuation with Oscar The Grouch.
D: Trying to find things we can give to people for birthday presents.
E: He's going through the garbage digging out perfectly good and in some cases brand new items that our neighbor who just moved out not 10 minutes before chucked in there.
~
Ok, which one did you guess? Is that your final answer?
~
If you guessed E then you are correct-a-rooni! But D is also not far from the truth. And B will happen if he chars another baby bottle on our stove while we don't have renters insurance...
~
Our neighbor moved out last Friday, May 29th and the poor girl was running around like a chicken with her head cut off because she wasn't packed all the way and her place wasn't clean when our landlord came to do the walk through for final checkout. So our other awesome neighbor was kind enough to hold Kara while her husband and I went over and started vacuuming and cleaning her kitchen and helped her bring her belongings out to her car to pack. The only problem is that girlfriend only has a small Honda Civic and she had enough stuff to warrant needing a Honda Pilot so a ton of it went the way of our friendly neighborhood dumpster. She gave me some of the stuff she didn't want and I gladly accepted because I needed some of it anyways (a practically brand new hamper, a vacuum, a brand new in the box wall clock just like the one we have in our bedroom, etc etc). But she was so frantic that she was just grabbing garbage bags full of stuff that she couldn't fit into her Civic and speed walking back and forth between the dumpster dropping stuff off. I saw some of the stuff she was throwing away and I know Honig would die because I knew he would want it.
So it eventually came time for sweet little Kara to eat so I took her back and went to my house and fed her, and then Honig called and I went and picked him up from school and told him about what our neighbor was doing while I was driving to go get him. He got all excited and used his high pitch "Hurryyyyy uuuuuup!" because he was afraid one of our neighbors would get to the dumpster first. Big fear, I know. At least in his mind. He even started walking up Main St from Palmer so that I wouldn't have to drive as far to get him so we could get back to our place quicker. Wow, how I love that man. Anyways, he gave me permission to break every speeding law and run all red lights in order to get home quicker. As you can see from the picture, he is in his nice clinic clothes because he refused to go in and change because "someone else might get his stuff." HA! He spent a good hour and a half in the dumpster, but I will say, it was an hour and a half that he loved and it was well worth it, garbage juice smell and all. We peed our pants laughing, and we made out like bandits. Our neighbor got rid of some sweet stuff...
~
Some of his finds are:
  • a perfectly functional and nice Magellan GPS system. Honig's pretty much in love with it.
  • brand new textbooks which we have listed on Amazon
  • used textbooks which we have listed on Amazon
  • brand new packs of batteries
  • brand new nice picture frames
  • brand new pencils, pens, highlighters still in their packages
  • a sweet softball mitt
  • brand new candles
  • brand new printer cartridges

And a ton of other stuff.

No shame.

Wait, I think I see something shiny in the back!



That's one of the two loves of my life right there.

Just like Oscar the Grouch.

We're teaching Kara to be frugal at a young age. Look and learn young child.

Good times.

4 comments:

Ashleigh said...

I knew that's what he was doing. The second that I saw the picture I thought, "Oh no, Dean's at it again!" That's pretty sweet, though. I would have totally done the same thing. I can't believe she just chucked some of that stuff! I guess when you're in a hurry, you've got to prioritize. More for you!

Amy said...

Two thoughts:

1.) Your husband is much braver than I am.

and

2.) You should always have renters insurance. ALWAYS. ;)

Sarah-Olivia said...

My silly cousin!! Man, I love you guys! I almost died laughing!!

Annalisa and Jacob said...

Bless his dumpster diving heart! Was he secretly teaching Kyah all of his tricks when she was in my tummy? I can't keep that girl out of the trash...she must have learned it somewhere!