As lots of people know, I am not the world's most talented cook. I somehow manage to dry out every piece of meat I ever attempt to cook, I burn the bottom of every cookie I ever bake, and I magically even char my scrambled eggs. Most of the time I can't even stand to eat my own food I've prepared. Thankfully Dean is a sweetie and will eat anything I attempt to make and will praise it to make sure that the internal pilot light I have for cooking doesn't get extinguished.
2 weeks ago I got the urge to bake a cake, so bake a cake I did. I even made it from scratch, frosting and all. It came out looking wonderful and delicious, and we couldn't wait to get our forks into it. We took it over to our friends house for a birthday party, thinking we'd be all nice so that they wouldn't have to buy a cake. Well, we dish it up and everyone digs in and then everyone's eyebrows get furrowed and then it gets eerily silent. Somehow I had managed to make the world's richest cake that apparently had the consistency of 296 brownies condensed down into a 9 inch cake. Seriously, one of our friends there said "It's like eating a brownie cake. Did you mean to make this like brownie?" I'm telling you, I followed that recipe step by step and I still managed to make the world's thickest chocolate sugar packed cake. I knew it was bad when our friend Keven wouldn't even finish it. You could put 19 pounds of cake and Coldstone ice cream in front of Keven and he would finish every last bite. He and Tiff are dessert guru's and they had to bow out from my cake. I understand though, I couldn't finish it either. But sitting next to me was my sweet Dean chowing away like it was the world's most delicious dessert and he would have eaten the whole cake to make me feel better. I love that boy.
So maybe when I get my baking self esteem back, I'll give it another go. At least I have pictures to remind me of the hopeful baking-chelle.
2 weeks ago I got the urge to bake a cake, so bake a cake I did. I even made it from scratch, frosting and all. It came out looking wonderful and delicious, and we couldn't wait to get our forks into it. We took it over to our friends house for a birthday party, thinking we'd be all nice so that they wouldn't have to buy a cake. Well, we dish it up and everyone digs in and then everyone's eyebrows get furrowed and then it gets eerily silent. Somehow I had managed to make the world's richest cake that apparently had the consistency of 296 brownies condensed down into a 9 inch cake. Seriously, one of our friends there said "It's like eating a brownie cake. Did you mean to make this like brownie?" I'm telling you, I followed that recipe step by step and I still managed to make the world's thickest chocolate sugar packed cake. I knew it was bad when our friend Keven wouldn't even finish it. You could put 19 pounds of cake and Coldstone ice cream in front of Keven and he would finish every last bite. He and Tiff are dessert guru's and they had to bow out from my cake. I understand though, I couldn't finish it either. But sitting next to me was my sweet Dean chowing away like it was the world's most delicious dessert and he would have eaten the whole cake to make me feel better. I love that boy.
So maybe when I get my baking self esteem back, I'll give it another go. At least I have pictures to remind me of the hopeful baking-chelle.

2 comments:
You'll get there, you keep practicing and you'll get there. Why do you think we are so plump? Cause I keep on cookin'!
I am usually a pretty good cook when it comes to dessert items, and in the past year, I have attempted to make three different cakes from scratch. Two of them were a horrible disaster. The third was ok. So don't feel bad about your cake, apparently they're really hard to get right.
Post a Comment