I know I know. I'm a bit behind on catching up on the happenings in our lives over the past 2 months. It's pretty difficult to sit down in front of the computer for extended periods of time with Kara during the day so I just wait until she's asleep to start playing catch up on all my to-do lists, which is neverending.~
So let's go back. Way back. To March 5th, 2009...
~
Black ice. Slide. Semi truck. Crash. Snow. Tow truck. Hotel room. Phone calls. Insurance.
~
And then we made a decision. A bad decision. A decision that would test what we were made of...
~
TO RIDE A GREYHOUND BUS BACK TO IOWA!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO.....
~
Since we were in Podunkville, Oregon (a.k.a. Pendleton), heaven forbid that there is more than 1 car rental place within 200 miles. The short of it all was that renting a car one way to Iowa would have ended up costing us about $1,000 and then add gas on top of that and our insurance would only cover $30 per day towards the rental so that's one huge bill we're stuck with. Then we looked into Greyhound (*shudder*) and they only ended up being $400 for both Honig and I total. So we bought our tickets and got a ride to the "bus station" HA!, and Honig's Mom decided that she would ride as far as Boise with us and then have her nephew pick her up and she would fly back to AZ since her wrist and rib were hurting her. It turns out that she sprained her wrist and broke a rib. Ouchie! I don't blame her for wanting to get home ASAP and rest up.
Anyways, here's a little picture tutorial, but they're mainly of Kara, since she's what kept us going and sane.
Packing all of our stuff in our hotel room. We had to condense a whole carload of stuff down to a couple of bags and suitcases. We ended up having to leave some stuff in the hotel room because there was no way we could physically take it all.
So once we got on, we rode to Boise and Honig's Mom abandoned ship, and we really wish we would have with her.... Oh well, the lessons we learn.
~
So we ride through the night with every chain smoker in the USA, and we had to make stops every hour so everyone could get off and smoke and then come back in and see if they could "endure" another hour until their next smoke break. I can't believe what kind of a hold cigarettes have on people. It's really sad.
~
We got to Salt Lake City in the early early hours of Saturday and Honig's sister, Amber, met us there because she was dying to meet Kara. So she and her boyfriend Dave hung out with us in the terminal while we waited for our next bus and Amber got to snuggle and love Kara. Plus it was nice that Honig and I got to see her and visit because it'd been quite a while since we'd seen her.
~
Once we left Salt Lake, it was on to Denver. There is only one picture to accurately portray our trip from Denver...
That's right, we were seated next to a bona fide pimp, nasty perm and all. He was sportin the pimp cane, pimp hat with a white hat he would put right over his black hat, his pimp mink coat, and his pimp weed. He was not ashamed to say that he was selling weed and was trying to make a couple deals on the bus. I discreetly took this picture with my phone but I probably could have shoved my digital camera right in his face with the flash on and taken a picture and he would have never noticed because he was so far baked. He only had a vocabulary of about 20 words and 14 of them were swear words. At one point he put a cigarette in his mouth and went to go into the bathroom (which we happened to be sitting right in front of) and a guy told him he can't smoke in there and the pimp said that he couldn't wait to smoke and then the guy told him that he would tell the bus driver if he did and blah blah blah. Finally the pimp sat down, swore some more, and then passed out.~
Salt of the earth I tell ya.
~
Since people on Greyhounds apparently have no control over the volume of their voice, we heard some memorable comments which I took the liberty of jotting down as I heard them in my puzzle book Honig bought me. Some of my personal favorites are:
- "I been a playa all my life."
- "I ain't gonna fornicate like dat."
- "Dey ran down to da courthouse and got hitched."
- "I couldn't bring myself to do it with a fat girl."
- And then a woman listening said "HEY! Fat girls need lovin' too!"
- THERE AIN'T NO HEALTH IN A PANCAKE!!! A PANCAKE GOES STRAIGHT TO YOUR BUTT!!!!" (but they didn't say 'butt' they said the naught word for a donkey)
- "That's the first car I ever stole."
- "Maybe I'll have to stab someone in the back." and they meant that literally.
~
After listening to brilliant coversations like the aforementioned ones, I finally just shoved a hypodermic needle I found on the floor of the bus into my ears and punctured my eardrums over and over so that I wouldn't have to listen to the molten idiocy that was being spewed all over the inside of the bus.
Is that not the cutest thing you have ever seen?!?!
Miss Buns was SOOOO good and slept the entire night on both nights. Thank heavens.
And another sneaky camera phone picture I snapped. This lady got on at Iowa City and apparently she thought she was my best friend. She tried chatting it up with me and I obviously didn't want to be talked to but somehow she ignored my not making eye contact with her and 2 word replies to her questions. Here's our conversation...Lady: "What do you do?"
Chelle: "I'm a massage therapist but I'm a full time Mommy right now. What do you do?"
Lady: "I'm a dancer."
Chelle: "That's nice. What kind of dance do you do?"
Lady: "No, I'm a dancer." (she then leans forward and shimmies her boobs at me to make sure I know what kind of a dancer she is.)
Chelle: "Ohhhhh. Um, ok."
Lady: "Yeah, I'm almost 50 and I am getting too old for it. But hey, it pays the bills. I think I might go to medical transcription school."
~
Kill me now.
10 comments:
Oh my! What an ordeal! I'm so glad everyone made it through safely and with sanity intact!
OH MY GOSH! I was laughing SO HARD! I'm sorry that you had to deal with that, but it's a fun story for the rest of us. I LOVE the secretive shots of the pimp and the tramp...er..."dancer". Wow, there are crazy, weirdo people out there. Seriously, you should have called us and we would have taken you AT LEAST to Utah. Please don't ever do that again....unless I'm really depressed and need a good laugh, then please do so I can see the crazy people you meet and laugh my butt off.
P.S. The greyhound bus might be a good opportunity for educating Jayden. She could learn all sorts of new things that she never could have imagined in a million years. Maybe we'll take a short trip on one and see who wants to teach my child some REAL dance moves (ie. stripper girl) as well as some euntrepenuerial advice from selling drugs.
Michelle, your pictures and descriptions are adorable and hilarious. I am so sorry you had to go through that. I did NOT realize how bad it actually was. I'm sad that we never see you and have to keep track of how big Kara is getting on your blog and across the room in sacrament meetings! :)
wow, that was some great right before bed reading. I was laughing so hard. I would have came to Utah and picked you up if I had known you were dealing with pimped out weed selling stripper dancers! That is A LOT to handle! I rode Greyhound from MA to AZ and I swear I will NEVER do it again. I'm just glad you made it home safe. It is a good laugher though and you certainly made it into a great story. Your baby is priceless and never will she have to have such an ordeal!
I am so sorry you had to endure that hellish trip home. I don't know how I would have handled it. At least you got some great pictures :)
Oh Chelle, I always no where to turn when I need a good laugh! Your blog is so stinking hilarious!!! I truly am sorry you had to endure that, but the pictures of Kara were way cute!
Aaron wants to know why you didn't pass out any Books of Mormon to any one. That "dancer" could have been your new RS president! LOL!! Sounds like quite the trip hun. I am glad you survived and surprised that everyone else did too!
You've got all the makings of a best seller there, sex, drugs, drama, swanky accommodations. One of those experiences that are much funnier to be looked back upon than to be wading through. Sounds like Miss Kara was a real trooper.
Oh my heavens...so sorry you guys had to endure such an awful trip! I just can't imagine. I LOVE your posts though because they always makes me laugh!
Post a Comment