Honig and I all jazzed up and ready to go.
He does love to chop wood whenever he has an excuse.Amy and I taking a time out from swatting mosquitoes for a 2 second photo op.
Notice the Citronella (ok, it's actually OFF brand) candle I'm holding. I was DONE with the mosquitoes. They only came out in the evening and early morning. We all but bathed in bug spray the next morning.

Brett and Amy eating their dinner and ours was just getting started. Honig and I did tinfoil dinners but apparently an hour and a half is too long to cook those. They were absolutely charred and practically unedible so we made brats to replace our ash filled dinners.

Amy holding her first smoke bomb. Brett and Amy are from California where it is illegal to even own fireworks so they were like kids on crack once they started doing the fireworks we all bought. It was hilarious to watch.
I don't even know what he is doing in that picture.
No, I do not have a ring of green mold around my hairline. It was a glow in the dark necklace I was wearing.

After getting there Friday evening and eating and doing fireworks, Saturday moring we were rearing and ready to go once our canoes got there.

Awww, first time canoers but you would have never known it.
Brett and Amy basking in canoey goodness.
Just in case you were wondering what the back of Amy's and my neck look like...
So some point throughout our first day on the river, apparently the earth decided it wanted to move 20 million miles closer to the sun within a couple of hours and melt the flesh off our skin. I think we all got a little heat exhaustion and we couldn't find a shady camping spot because there were a lot of other people on the river for the 4th of July weekend and the shady spots were all taken, so we settled for an island that had a sandy knoll on top. Dean and Brett were brilliant and strung a rain fly between our tents to provide shade. If you look at the left side of the white tent right next to the side of it, you'll see me laying down in the shade and I pretty much stayed there for 3 hours to make my body cool down. I was afraid our little peanut was boiling inside of me so I was a shade lizard until the sun went down.
Loves.
Our peanuts' first canoeing trip. I was 14 weeks along in that picture.
The view from our camp site.
We were all exhausted by the end of our trip from the heat. Just an example of "exhausted face."
Can you tell I was a little too hot and ready to get in an air conditioned car?
~
With the heat set aside, we had an AWESOME time and would do it again in a heart beat (hopefully with a couple degrees cooler weather).
6 comments:
I thought your glow-in-the-dark necklace was a flea collar before I read the caption!
Your trip looked like a blast! Glad you had a good time!
YAY! FiReWoRkS!!!!! And oh man, it was HOT!!!! I seriously thought I was going to die at one point. Thank goodness for the shade our boys made for us! That was an awesome trip though!!!!! Good times! :-)
Wow... you are one amazing woman to go camping and on a canoe when you are pregnant!! I would have been puking my guts out over the canoe at 14 weeks!
Remember our first camping trip? Running out of food, food poisoning from the tiny bit of food we had, and a broken down shaggin' wagon! Jeez, what a bunch of dumb kids! I am glad you had fun! I wish I was there.
Yay, pictures! It looks like you guys had fun. I wish we were going camping this summer, but I don't feel like chasing a toddler around making sure he doesn't eat his weight in dirt.
I'm jealous. Looks like you guys had a blast!!! I miss camping SO much. We'll have to check that place out sometime.
Post a Comment