This is Part 4 of Our Story. To get the complete story, read in order starting with OUR STORY PART 1, OUR STORY PART 2, OUR STORY PART 3.
I've been feeling for a while that I need to write down Dean's
and my story for our family history books, for our children and
grandchildren to know and understand how their parents/grandparents ended up
together. But I realized that I needed to give some back story because
there are some key people along the way that set me on some necessary paths to
get to Dean that will help you to understand who I am, how I've changed over
the years, and why Dean is the best man I've ever met and how he's perfect for
me. I didn't want to write a short love story "We met at church,
dated, married, had a baby 3 years later....", that's too vague for my
tastes. I want my posterity to know WHY I love Dean, and
why we go perfectly together.
Our Story, Part 4
I don’t remember exactly what time we agreed to meet at
wheelchair friend’s house for our first date Wednesday evening, but meet there
we did, but not until I decided to purposely be a couple minutes late from
dragging my feet. I gave myself kudos
just for showing up. We went in to say
hi to her and laughed and talked a bit, and then I could tell Dean was so eager
to go so we went outside to head to dinner. He was sure to be a gentleman and
opened the car door for me, and I hesitantly got in his parents car that he had
borrowed.
I asked him where we were going and he said Claim Jumper in
Tukwila. I’d never been there but I’d
heard it had pretty good food. Sounds
good to me! On the way up we did the
usual first date questions: When’s your birthday? Where were you born? How many
kids are in your family? What do you
like to do? Tell me more about your
mission to Switzerland. Tell me about
what you were up to while I was in Switzerland.
The conversation actually flowed with ease on the drive up there and we
found out we both came from families of 6 children. Our parents were divorced. We’d been Washington residents most of our
lives. We only lived a couple miles apart but our paths never crossed because
we always went to different schools and were in different congregations at
church growing up. We eventually figured
out that we were both at the same baseball game when High School Boyfriend was
playing Dean’s high school baseball team and Dean was also at the game.
Even though I knew and recognized Dean at church on the day
that he gave his homecoming talk, I didn’t and still don’t have any concrete
memories of him before his mission. I
can’t look back and say, “Hey, remember when we were at that get together at so
and so’s house?” Nope. I even have our
very first picture we were ever in together.
We were at wheelchair friend’s house for her missionary farewell. Dean was there, but I don’t remember him
being there, but I have a group picture to prove we were both there, even with
me and my blonde hair and way too dark of roots showing. I knew Dean but he
hadn’t made enough of an impression on me for me to be able to pin point get
togethers where we were the common denominator.
Plus, I was dating Mistake Boyfriend before Dean left on his mission so
I was too wrapped up in all that drama to really give notice to what else and
who else was going on around me. I don’t say these things to be rude, I wish I
could remember him, but I simply can’t.
We arrived at Claim Jumper and put our names on the list
since there was a little bit of a wait.
We took a pager that would let us know when our table was ready and
headed outside and sat next to one another on a bench outside. We talked a little bit about who knows what
and the conversation died off for just a few seconds. It was sunset and the evening sun was shining
right on my face directly in my eyes. Dean leaned over so that he could take a
closer look at my face but more specifically, my eyes, as the sunset was
shining in them. “Wow, you have really
beautiful eyes.” I immediately gave a mocking
smile and rolled my eyes and turned away from him thinking, “Good gracious, is
he going to be cheesy like this all night? Kill me now. Can this date just be over please?” I wasn’t one that likes to be smothered with
cliché lines like that one a first date.
He got the hint that he was being cheesy and backed away and shied away
for a little bit. And yes, I in fact do have beautiful eyes. As our relationship progressed he commented
on them dozens of times and would just stare and stare at them and the rainbow
of colors that make them up. Someone
would pay big money to have an iris transplant from me.
Our pager buzzed and we made our way inside towards the back
of the restaurant to a little table for 2.
I was starving, but I still couldn’t show this guy that I wasn’t even
wanting to be out on a date with that I could probably out eat him! “Soup and salad for me, please.” Dean had no shame and ordered something
hearty. I don’t remember exactly what it was, but I remember looking at it and
wishing he would go to the bathroom so that I could steal a bite or two of it. And not wanting to seem like a pig, I didn’t
finish my soup and salad, but I sure drank a lot of water. Dumb, dumb girl.
The conversation at dinner was nonstop and Dean was a little
different than other guys I’d gone out with, but I couldn’t put my finger on
exactly what it was. There was something
about him that I thought was sweet, but all my other annoyances with him and
just general lack of attraction to him completely overshadowed what I thought
was sweet about him. I had already made
up my mind about him before the date even began. He was a pro at asking me questions about
myself, always ready to fire the next question, and he was eating up all of my
answers with enthusiasm, like they were their own fulfilling meal
themselves. We had a pretty easy give and take,
conversation-wise.
We finished up dinner, I took one last swig of water, Dean
paid, and we headed out to his car. He
opened my door again, I got in, and then he got in. “Well, where do you want to go now,
Michelle?” Uhhh, he didn’t have anything
else planned? Who was this guy?! “I
don’t care.” Secretly I wanted to go to
McDonald’s and get a Big Mac but I was too proud to say that. “Hmmm, ok, I have an idea. How about Alki Beach?” “Ok, fine.”
We drove over to Costco to put some gas in the car and then
we headed north in I-5 and across the bridge to Alki. We parked, got out of the car, and then Dean
walked back to the trunk, opened it, and pulled out a big blanket. I then started to laugh to myself because I
was putting the pieces together. “You
planned on coming up here all along, huh? That’s why you had the blanket in the
trunk.” Sheepishly, “Yeah.” Good gravy.
This newly returned missionary thought he was going to make out with me
on Alki Beach. That’s strike 2 and a half, buddy. I’d sooner eat rocks and die
than do that with him.
We started to walk across the grass and over to the beach when
we spot a couple a little ways away. She
was sitting on a bench and he got down one on knee in front of her and we could
tell he was proposing. Dean then thought
he would be hilarious and mockingly get down and one knee in front of me and
pretend like he was opening up an imaginary engagement box. I could have kicked him in the gut right then
and there. Annnnnnd there’s strike 3. I just sighed, rolled my eyes, and walked
around him towards the water. Dude, who
was this guy?!?!?
He hurriedly got up from his fake proposal stance, ran after
me, and then picked a spot to lay down his hopeful loooooooove blanket. We sat down side by side but not touching and
talked and talked about any and everything.
Again, as much as I wasn’t digging on him, for the most part I did enjoy
talking to him. He listened, I
listened.
After a while my back and bum were hurting from sitting in
the same position for so long so I laid down on the blanket. And of course Dean took that as permission
that he could lay down next to me, but I made sure that he wasn’t touching me
at all. We continued chatting for a
while and then I suddenly got bored and didn’t want to talk anymore. Well, what better way to insult to injury
than getting bored and falling asleep on your first date? I was out cold within a matter of seconds. Dean tells me that he just laid there on his
side with his head propped up in his hand and he just stared at me and tried to
memorize every feature of mine that he could see illuminated between the light
of the moon and the light from the street lamp by his car. Meanwhile I dozed, and apparently at one
point I moved, grabbed my sandal that I had taken off when we first sat down,
and I stuck it under my head as makeshift pillow. Comfy.
Dean observed that I was out cold so he took that
opportunity to edge a little closer to me, still not touching though. Eventually he put his face close enough to
the top of my forehead to smell my hair, hello creep wad, and he gave me the
tiniest of kisses on the top of my forehead.
There’s strike 4. I stirred a
little bit not knowing completely what was going on. I sensed my personal space had just been
invaded. Did I just imagine him kissing
my forehead or was that for real? I’m so
tired. I’ll deal with that later. I’m going back to sleep.
Eventually I woke up at about 1:30 a.m. and there was Dean,
still gazing at me. Despite my
snottiness towards him, there was something about me that he was mesmerized
by. I told him we needed to get
going. I had to be to work by 7 the
next morning and we still had to drive back to Federal Way to pick up my car at
wheelchair friend’s house.
I grabbed my sandals, he grabbed the blanket, and we were
off. We continued talking on the way
home, well, I mostly kept talking so that I could stay awake. We ended up discussing dreams and Dean
mentioned to me like it was no big deal that I was in a dream of his on his
mission. Strike 5. “Ummm, what?
You were dreaming about me on your mission? What kind of dreams?” “Uhhhh, uhhhh, no, you were just IN a dream I
had. I don’t remember what it was. I just remember you were in it.” Yikes.
That’s just something you don’t tell a girl on your first date. It creeped me out big time for some reason
and I all but encouraged his to speed to get back to my car.
Once we did get to my car, I said an obligatory “thanks” and
I quickly hopped out of his car and headed towards mine. But he was quick, and had hopped out at the
same time and met me at the front of his car.
I could tell he suddenly got very nervous and he said, “Soooo, uhhh, I
want to do something I haven’t done in a long time since before my
mission.” I looked and him and sharply
said, “No. Nope. I don’t kiss on the first date.” Heck yeah I kiss on the first date! I’d kiss someone even if we weren’t on a
date. But I had absolutely negative
desire to kiss Dean. “Ummm, no, no, I
mean, uhhh, I wanted to give you a hug.”
Nice recovery, Dean. “Ok,
fine.” I then gave him a halfhearted one
armed hug just to get the heck outta there and all but sprinted to my car. He
later told me that he was so bummed out because he really thought I was going
to kiss him goodnight. I don’t know what
part of the date he thought went so well that I would kiss him goodnight. The multiple eye rolls? The fact that I fell asleep for almost 2
hours on the beach from boredom? The
fact that he told me he’d had a dream about me?
Silly silly man. No kiss for you.
I drove away, so tired and yet so relieved that the pity
date was done. I made it home, went to
bed, and went to work the next morning, and life resumed back to normal.
So how in the world did pity date Dean and snotty Michelle
end up getting married 16 months later?
Dean saved me. He
literally saved me.
Oh, and I had to
drive out to Puyallup to give my Mom her insulin shot because she was going to
go into diabetic shock and die.
No comments:
Post a Comment