Friday, March 6, 2009

I always wanted a Greyhound...

....bus, that is. That's right, we are taking our first family Greyhound bus ride because car rental companies work on the right hand of Satan for how much they charge for one way rentals. I kid you not, I had one company quote me $1,500 for 3 days from Pendleton to Davenport. $1,500!?!!?!?!?!?!? I would rather go take the $1,500 and go buy supplies to fashion my own handcart and trek across the plains to Davenport. At least I'll have something I can keep after that. So I called a million different car rental places and yelled at 2 different representatives because they have bird brains and, alas, we ended up going with Greyhound because it is substantially cheaper and we don't have to do the driving. We get into Davenport at 12:30PM on Sunday and then we need to go get us a rental car until we buy something new. Supposedly the car already has $9000 worth of damage so we pray that they'll give us enough to completely pay off the rest of our loan and then it'd be nice if there was some left over to apply towards whatever new car we get.
Anybody wanna put bets on our Greyhound? It's a sure winner.

5 comments:

Sara said...

I am so sorry that you're having to deal with all this! Especially with your new car and your (fairly) new baby! I hope that the rest of your trip is smooth and that the insurance company is good to you!

lisapants said...

Oh man, that sucks. There's something about you guys trying to get back to Iowa that never quite works out each time. It's a sign. You're never supposed to leave Washington again :)

I hope you guys and little Kara are as comfy as possible on your bus trek across the plains.

Adolescent Family said...

doesn't your insurance pick up the bill for your rental car?

Oh, and just for future reference, I would have come and picked you up for a LOT less than $1500! I hope its not too miserable riding that greyhound all the way home.:(

Let us know if you need a ride! See you soon! Happy Trails! :)

AdamOndi said...

That sucks soooo much. Half the problem with the price of renting the car is that you had to rent it from somewhere in Pendleton. Everything in that backwards corner of nowhere and nothing is way too expensive. The only way it could have been more expensive is if you had been towed to stinking La Grande or something even worse.

I'm so sorry that you had to take a Greyhound back to Davenport. What did Dean's mom end up doing?

Devin and Chelsey said...

My bet is that you will sit next to a pimp with a mink jacket and he will swear all the time, and possibly try to smoke. did I win? Seriously though you guys I heard about your trip and I feel so aweful for you having to go through all that crap. Just keep thinking that things happen for a reason! I'm so glad that you guys made it home safe though!!!