Saturday, January 3, 2009

Stress and Crying

Dean here.
~
First off, Kara is not dying in any way shape or form, contrary to what we've been hearing from concerned friends and family.
~
So, this morning was a little stressful. We woke up to find Kara under a bili-light. Now, this was brand new to chelle, but I vaguely remember the nurse coming in around 3 telling me her bilirubin was at critical levels and she needed to get some UV light exposure and was that ok for her to do? In a half asleep voice my response probably sounded like this, "what? Ok sure, I'd love some pancakes for breakfast", roll over and back to sleep within mili-seconds. This was compounded with a lot of other issues, for example she hadn't peed or pooped all night long and that was not ok, she was jaundiced, she's had a hard time figuring out how to eat, she's super lethargic, and even though she's on an IV she's not out-putting what she ought to.
~
When chelle woke up and saw her she just started to cry because it was one more thing that went wrong and we couldn't figure it out. When I wake up a little bit later after only a couple of hours sleep in days to see my wife crying, my baby under a lamp wearing goggles which weren't see through, and chelle saying that once again she wouldn't eat I tried to be strong. So we prayed to understand what was happening, and to be able to get through yet one more hurdle that was placed before us, and then I start to lose it, which I NEVER do.
~
After our prayer we feel that we need to ask our family and ward to fast and pray for her. It seems like after one thing gets cleared up there is something else waiting. So I go out to the family waiting room to start calling people thinking I can be composed. Throughout this whole labor and NICU ordeal I haven't let myself be emotional because I need to be strong and supportive. But now I start to lose it a lot. I just sit and cry for a couple minutes before I call our Bishop to ask if the ward would do this for us. I try to tell him a little bit about it, but I think it came out worse than I meant it to. After I talked to the bishop I called a couple of other people from church, my grandparents, sister, some friends to ask them the same thing, and I can't help but cry in between calls and have crying voice. When I went back to our room I recieved an email from my grandpa to the whole family that kind of makes it sound like Kara is on death's doorstep, and talk with a friend who asked us if Kara was really going to be leaving us. That's when I start to think that maybe I was a little too emotional. Since I don't EVER cry people probably thought that only the worst thing ever could make me cry.
~
Also, after I came back to the room we talked with the doctor and he alleviated all of our fears telling us how things were connected and that it wasn't really all that bad, just a lot of little things and she ought to be fine within a few days at least. The night nurse 'Radney' had told us she might have to stay for up to another week if Kara doesn't start to turn things around soon.
~
So to sum it all up. Kara is still sick but is going to be fine. We still need and appreciate all of the prayers and fasts on her and our behalf because she still has quite a bit of work to do and improvement to show before she's allowed to come home with us. I am imposing a ban on myself that I do not get to talk to people when I'm super emotional, chelle and I are feeling way more positive now than we were this morning, and we have a lot of friends and family that care a whole lot about us and her. We're just taking one hour at a time.
~
Thank you to all of you who have offered support, love, and prayers. Our spirits have truly been lifted thanks to you.

11 comments:

lisapants said...

You guys are in our prayers and fasts. It's OK to be emotional. Don't keep it all in! Glad to hear Kara is going to be all right. We love you guys!

Mummy said...

I hate this for yall, but it will be just a memory soon, and something for yall to talk about when you're swapping baby horror stories. If Kara will start eating and peeing, then yall can bring the billi blanket home with ya. I did that with both Kamilla (she ate after five days) AND with Bo (who also had a broken clavicle). Yall hang in there and take care! The Lord will carry you through this and he has MANY prayers coming up on yall's behalf.

Marianne said...

Dean, I'm glad to hear that things aren't as bad as they may have seemed. You're a parent, overreacting and being emotional comes with the territory.:) (not that I think you over reacted) Fasting and prayers are always a good Idea, right? She is adorable!!!!! Congratulations you guys!!! Good job Michelle, you made a cute one.

Michelle said...

Hey guys...we are thinking of you and sending up prayers. It would be impossible not to be over emotional :-) Love you guys! Can't wait till you get to bring that sweet baby home.
((hugs))

Sarah-Olivia said...

I am so glad to hear that Kara is going to be fine. Really this part will seem SO short after a couple of years. Landon had a REALLY bad Kidney infection when he was born and even ended up loosing 1/3 of his body weight because he was so sick and the doctor didn't believe me that something was wrong. He even ended up looking completely dead, he was all skin and bones and even turned very grey (sorry, that's another story) ANYWAYS.... I just wanted to say, I KNOW it is so stressful and scary but I am here for ya guys and pray for you lots!

Kelsey said...

Well I'm glad to hear things aren't quite as serious as G&G Holmes had thought. I've been checking for updates constantly, I just haven't actually stopped to say CONGRATULATIONS!!! You two are going to continue to be the best parents to that little girl. I'm amazed by how much you already love that little girl. It's really sweet. She'll be out of the hospital in no time.

Jon said...

Unfortunately, the emotional parts don't go away, even when they are better. I still get emotional. Hang in there! Things will get better.

Let us know if we can do anything for you. We're not too far away.;)

Judy Lamont Stock said...

I LOVE first time parents!!! LOL! You guys TOTALLY have the right to overreact. What would life be like w/out first time parents? Kara is in awesome arms and when you're on your 3rd kid you'll probably just say oh... another billi blanket! Gotta love those! We are praying for you and just know that Kara is in good hands. Just hurry up and make her better cause we have some good pie to eat! Just kidding. Love ya guys!

Debra said...

I am sorry you are going through this. The emotional roller coaster is just starting though! Wait till she is old enough to say that you are the meanest dad in the world and you never do anything for her! (I can PROMISE you she WILL say this at least once in her lifetime!) ROFL.

Most of my kids have been on bili-lights too. We called Joseph our glow-worm. It is pretty freaky for 1st time parents. I know I feaked out big time.

She'll catch on to eating soon. I know breastfeeding is best, but DO NOT feel bad if they want to give her formula. When she does not eat enough, she cannot get the output she needs to and that will make her count go up. It was hard not BF the twins, but sometimes life throws you curveballs. It is all a learning experience. And my twins are just fine!

I plan on coming to see you guys after church if that is alright. I'll bring you guys some munchies.. if you have anything you would prefer call me at home 445-6469 and I can bring anything you need.

Lisa And Randy said...

We've been were you guys are, and it is ok to get emotional. Rachael was under the lights while in the NICU after she was born, also. Guess her and Kara are related. :-)
This will be over soon, and then you will all be home, and it will give you something to talk about with Kara's dates.
Take care. We love all of you.

Annalisa and Jacob said...

Hey guys! Soooo glad she's doing better! I feel so blessed to know you guys and what an awesome example you both are of staying close to Heavenly Father through the tough times. Jacob and I both feel so blessed to call you our friends. You are in our prayers constantly (yes, even Donya prays for her Dean and Shel!) Let us know of there is anything we can do for you!