Friday, January 2, 2009

Tales from the NICU

Dean here.
Life moves a little slower in this part of the woods, it's the NICU or Neonatal intensive care unit. Our little Kara has been here since 6 pm wednesday, I think. Heck, I don't even know if it's day or night here sometimes. Since monday life has been one big blur and wow, that's it, wow. So, she came down here on New Year's eve, so mama and daddy got to celebrate with her, which consisted of chelle waking me up from the floor where I'd conked out, me getting two Styrofoam cups filled with ice and Sierra Mist for toasting from the nurses station, a kiss for each other and our peanut, and a picture of the three of us together. Yes, it was certainly the best party around and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. They did frown on the fireworks though so that was a no go. Oh well, little Kara will just have to be satisfied with fireworks for her birthday for the rest of her life. Real rough I know.

So, since chelle is still recovering from labor way more than me, she gets the bed, which is upstairs in our room. But we always want to have someone with her. There are about 8 babies here and when you look in their room they are all alone, how sad, so it's been our goal to always be here for her. Since 6 PM wednesday she's probably spent a grand total of 20 minutes alone combined, counting potty breaks etc. What can we say, we just love her so so so much and can't stand the thought of her crying alone. So, I "sleep" down here. But whenever I wake up I feel like I just woke up from being dead and it takes me 20 full minutes to actually be awake, hence writing this blog at 2:21 AM.

But honestly being down in the NICU has been a great experience. Even though my main goal for the two days we had here was to lounge around our room, eat free food from the hospital, and watch cable TV (we use rabbit ears at home) all while letting Kara sleep on me and spending a lot of one on one time with my two best girls, the NICU has been a better experience for our family.
The nurses down here are all incredibly kind and smart and have helped us more with things like nursing than even the lactation consultant upstairs did. Though Kara is in room 3106 she's also the current resident of 'Rock-a-bye Rd' with neighbors on 'Lullaby Lane', 'Snuggle St', 'Dreamland Dr', 'Cuddle Ct', 'Baby Blvd', and 'Neonatologist C'. I guess someone dropped the ball on naming that room. But there are no fun names like that upstairs. No Birthing Blvd, Pitocin Park, Episiotomy Edge, or C-Section Ct. Guess it just doesn't translate.

But the very best part of all of this is that I've gotten a chance to bond with Kara in a way I probably wouldn't have otherwise. By being with her at least 23 out of 24 hours per day while her mama is getting some much needed sleep, I've gotten to let myself feel how much I love her, how precious she truly is, and that she is the epitome of the best traits of me and chelle. I've been here when she was first stuck for an IV, when she used her first pacifier, gotten to change some oddly colored dirty diapers with pleasure, and just comfort her through the tough times.
I don't get to bond with her in ways that chelle does; through breast feeding, actually being pregnant, and stuff like that, so I am going to take it where I can. I got to sit down here with my mom who came out to visit and just talk with Kara slept on grandma's chest, and so many other great experiences. I love our daughter so much and am so thankful to my wife for being such a wonderful mommy, for sacrificing so much to bring our little girl into the world. I could not have married a better girl and I know it.

9 comments:

Annalisa and Jacob said...

Wow, does that bring back memories! The NICU isn't a very fun place, but it does give perspective on how blessed we really are. I am so glad Dean is getting some "snuggle" time with Kara. Jacob was the same way with Brant. We couldn't hold him for about a month so Jake would sit next to his Isolette and sing for hours. The nurses got a chuckle out of that, but to this day, the best way to calm Brant is to sing to him. I bet Kara looks like a chunk compared to the preemies in there!! You guys are in our prayers and hopefully you will get to bring her home soon!

Jon said...

She's cute! Glad things are starting to improve. The NICU staff are the greatest, I would agree. It's made me wonder if Neonatology would be the specialty for me...

Hang in there and enjoy the bonding time now. It makes getting up in the wee hours later a bit easier.

Devin and Chelsey said...

ohhh, dang right dude. Congrats again, she is very cute, and mom said that her pictures don't do her justice. She is BEAUTIFUL in realy life. I can't wait to come see her in a week and get to bond with her too. I already have a nickname picked for her, and you'll just have to hear it when I get there. She really is pretty Dean.... and Michelle. Good for you guys!

Ashleigh said...

Oh my gosh!!! She's so beautiful! I love her cute little body and all those chubs! She will be out of the NICU in no time. Chubby babies are healthy babies! She's adorable and you guys are the sweetest parents ever.

Judy Lamont Stock said...

Love the pics! Thanks for sharing. Kara is beautiful! Just get her better and keep loving her! Congrats!!!

lisapants said...

I totally understand about not wanting to leave your baby alone in the NICU. When Joshua was there, it was sad to look around at all the other babies that didn't always have family around. I feel for Kara (and you guys) with her little IV, but she should be home soon and all will be well! There is life after the NICU!! We will keep praying for your little family.

Lisa And Randy said...

Congratulations on the birth of Kara. I remember having to leave Rachael in the NICU due to her picking up the Group B Strep infection during delivery. Rachael looked out of place with all the premies, just as Kara probably does. Well, you will be getting something from me soon. Be sure and keep in touch, and don't forget to sing Kara the "Donkey song"

Michelle said...

Awe...we are so excited for you guys. She is so cute... Can't wait to see more pics! You guys rock!

Debra said...

Oh that brings back so many memories! I bet she looks SO much bigger compared to others in the NICU.

She is simply breathtakingly beautiful! I am itching to hold her!! I agree about the NICU nurses. They are great for first time mommies and daddies. They have the extra time to give you, more than the LDR nurses. And they are great at reassuring you that it will all be ok.

Please let Chelle know that if she needs anything to call. Enjoy this baby bonding time. It is SO precious and something I will always treasure from the days I had with my kids. Cuddle and sing your heart out... newborns cannot be spoiled :-)